Sidor

fredag 11 januari 2013

Always look on the bright side of life

The year started off quite bad. At least four robberies (a transport with money to a bank in Stockholm, a jeweler's shop in Södertälje, another transport with money to a bank in Huddinge and a bank in Täby) has taken place in and around Stockholm during the first ten days. Moreover a sports hall in Västergård, Södertälje, was burnt down (the cause of the fire is not yet clear), there has been another school shooting in the U.S. (this time less deadly than the one in Newtown in December), and the conflict in Syria is escalating and except for the horrors of the war itself people starve. I could go on and on with wars, conflicts, violence, starvation, etc but I think you see what I mean.

"Always look on the bright side of life" gets a quite bitter ring to it after these, and similar, events, but still there is something in it. We read all these negative news - and actually, it is almost as if "news" are defined as negative events. Positive news rarely reaches the first pages of newspapers. What does it turn us into when we see the society through the glasses of the negative events reported in media? To get a proper picture, there is also a need for news about things going in the right direction, be it international treaties that advance an issue, national changes in legislation or policies that have positive effects, or local improvements and positive examples. Often, I think, such news are considered less important, and some of them probably don't even qualify as "news".

As for myself, I know that I more often write a post about something that upsets me than about something that makes me happy. I can list a number of rational reasons for that - but at the end of the day my way of selecting what I write about confirms media's picture of what is importan. Thus, I will end this post with two positive news (one from December, which I never got time to write about when it appeared).

In December, the EU fisheries committee finally decided to make EU fisheries more sustainable after hard work by Swedish MEP Isabella Lövin and others - now it is the EU Parliament and the EU countries' fisheries ministers that have to transform the decision into law and practice. Commentary in DN here.

Suggestions from vice president Joe Biden for how the U.S. plan to curb gun violence will soon appear. Of course there are no easy solutions, and the perspective need to include not only guns and restrictions regarding them but also how to help people before they get so desperate that they plan shootings, in schools or other places. (SvD, DN)

I am well aware of that these two positive news are not final results in their respective fields - there is still a long way before they are implemented. In Europe, nations with strong interests in fisheries are likely to try to act against restrictions in fisheries, while in the U.S. the NRA has already made clear that they will try to prevent any new gun laws. But at least, these two have opened for changes that were formerly more or less unthinkable.

Obviously, there are others that also see the need for positive news. Here is a website which only add links to positive news (in Swedish), which I found through a friend when expressing my frustration regarding the recent news record.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar